Well it's pretty late in the thread but I thought I might share my choice based on hiking around Eastern Kentucky which is pretty similar to the AT. My two carry revolvers seem to center around my s&w model 14 K38 and my model 43 stainless kit gun the later seeing the most use besides a ruger 22 std auto. So far I have pot shot 2-3 squirrels but mostly my ammo has been consumed shooting walnuts buckeyes and hickory nuts that I lined up on a stump or log. In this part of the country a 22 is an excellent choice as it is cheap, a box of ammo easily slips into a pocket and they are just darn fun. As to protection I have never really felt under gunned as a 22 is still a very deadly weapon. As to snakes the few I have walked up on ( Intrepret nearly stepped on) I can honestly say drawing my pistol and neatly shooting it in the head was not the first reaction I had when I finally saw it. After leviating in mid-air running or broad jumping 20-30 feet while richocheting off a couple of trees & riding down several saplings the size of my wrist I figured there is no use going back to find it and shoot it as I am out of striking distance by the time I remember my pistol.

Last edited by bangeye; 09/24/12.