Originally Posted by DocRocket

I carry bear spray in bear country, but I also carry firearm(s) whenever feasible.

The POINT TO REMEMBER about THIS THREAD is IT'S ABOUT SUMMER-[bleep]-TIME BAKCPACKING... not horsey packing, not dayhiking. It's about an already BURDENED person adding what many of us consider UNNECESSARY additional SUMMERTIME weight when one's trying to pare away ounces everywhere.

That many non-backpackers have chimed in here is arrogant and funny. You have no reason to have an opinion. OK, you can have your opinion like your azzhole, but not all opinions are created equal.

I've had a pile of pistols from a FA 4-3/4" 454 Casull to the S&W 63 22lr. I like pistols. I'm a decent handgun shot.

ON SUMMERTIME BACKPACK TRIPS I FIND AS PISTOL AN UNNECESSARY BURDEN WHEN SPRAY IS DOCUMENTED AS MORE EFFECTIVE AND IS LIGHTER.

In the fall when hunting things change. In a bear encounter I'll take a rifle over any pistol, and bear spray over any pistol. I pack a Ruger Security Six with hard-cast 180 LBT's when packing out dead elk... it's right there with spray but as a backup to the spray.

Were I bowhunting again I'd be packing a pistol and spray... a bowhunter is doing everything he shouldn't be doing in terms of having a bad bear encounter.

For [bleep] SAKE people, read the damn thread in context... this one is about summertime backpacking.

And the point about taking a human life stands as someone that's been there... you can blow your macho-[bleep] mouth all you want about taking a life, but it's a terrible thing.

And BTW Shane, even in a menopausal rage, I could hike your azz into the ground, and that's no guess.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery