DJTex: I often remember all the pride and joy I got (and still get to this day!) from the first Winchester pre-64 Model 70 I purchased!
I believe the year was 1966 and I paid $200.00 for a mint condition 1950's vinatge 22 Hornet standard Rifle.
I have turned down cash offers of more than ten times the amount I originally paid for it.
That Rifle and the pride I get from owning it has led me to near half a century of collecting Winchesters.
I thank all the Gods I worship for finding that Rifle and acquiring it and the lifetime of pleasure I have enjoyed "chasing" Winchesters and other fine arms.
Another fine Rifle (extremely accurate!) that I obtained many years ago was a Remington 40X-BR single shot in caliber 222 Remington.
And I never handed over a penny for that Rifle.
I actually just worked off its value.
I worked for the late Warshal family who owned Warshals Sporting Goods in downtown Seattle.
These fine folks were Jewish and had a definite case of the "ass" for the "urban youths" who would come into their store and steal the Nike tenny runners and anything else they could lay their hands on.
I stood around in uniform and made like a "scarecrow" whenever a urban youth would enter the store.
It took me 5 Saturdays of standing around to pay off that brand new 40X which had been ordered by a customer and by the time it arrived at the store that customer had passed on.
I spoke up for it and arranged for turning my off duty pay into equity in that Rifle.
That incredibly accurate Rifle has taught me more about "accurately firing a Rifle" than any other Rifle I have ever owned.
I also have fond memories of an 1866 Winchester Musket that I owned for some time and made a tidy profit from it when I sold it - I sometimes wish I had it back.
I am happy your youngsters made such a day full of memories for you - that was nice, and humbles money (profit) in the long run.
Many happy returns of the day with your children.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy