Nice rifles you have there! I love the old browning safari's and sako's.

Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Bought some nice rifles over the years. As a young man enjoyed reading O'Connor and Wootters all the time. Wootters stimulated me into searching for and finding a 1964 Sako L579 Mannlicher .308 later in life when I could afford it. Topped it with a USA made Burris Signature in 2x8. Probably my favorite rifle. An absolute joy to carry.

However the best money spent was last year. Found a FN Browning Safari in .257 Roberts at of all places a local Cabelas. Wasn't initially that interested but after getting home and doing some research, I literally could find nothing about that gun in that caliber. Found enough however to realize it was somewhat rare.

Interesting thing was as I searched the gun library most Safari's in the same shape were priced much higher than this one and they were not even rare...i.e. 270's, 30-06's, etc starting at $1500-$1700. Those on the rarer side (i.e. .284)were 4-5K. Usually Cabelas is on the high side. The Cabelas gun shop person obviously didn't know what he had in hand when he priced it. Funny thing is it had been on display for almost three weeks before I saw it.

Went back to the store when it opened the next morning hoping it was there, it was, and I bought it. Had it verified by letter from Browning. Apparently estimates vary, but it appears only about 25 were made in that caliber.

One report in Eastman's guide indicates more on one specific order with some in 25-06, but I feel that is suspect because it the 25-06 which was a wildcat then. According to another report FN would not make that gun in that caliber for that reason. As far as the Bob, that offering wasn't even listed in any of the Browning catalogs at the time.

Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

First is the Sako Mannlicher .308. Next two are the Browning Safari .257 Roberts. I added a vintage Browning 2x7x33 (Burris made) scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Bought some nice rifles over the years. As a young man enjoyed reading O'Connor and Wootters all the time. Wootters stimulated me into searching for and finding a 1964 Sako L579 Mannlicher .308 later in life when I could afford it. Topped it with a USA made Burris Signature in 2x8. Probably my favorite rifle. An absolute joy to carry.

However the best money spent was last year. Found a FN Browning Safari in .257 Roberts at of all places a local Cabelas. Wasn't initially that interested but after getting home and doing some research, I literally could find nothing about that gun in that caliber. Found enough however to realize it was somewhat rare.

Interesting thing was as I searched the gun library most Safari's in the same shape were priced much higher than this one and they were not even rare...i.e. 270's, 30-06's, etc starting at $1500-$1700. Those on the rarer side (i.e. .284)were 4-5K. Usually Cabelas is on the high side. The Cabelas gun shop person obviously didn't know what he had in hand when he priced it. Funny thing is it had been on display for almost three weeks before I saw it.

Went back to the store when it opened the next morning hoping it was there, it was, and I bought it. Had it verified by letter from Browning. Apparently estimates vary, but it appears only about 25 were made in that caliber.

One report in Eastman's guide indicates more on one specific order with some in 25-06, but I feel that is suspect because it the 25-06 which was a wildcat then. According to another report FN would not make that gun in that caliber for that reason. As far as the Bob, that offering wasn't even listed in any of the Browning catalogs at the time.

Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

First is the Sako Mannlicher .308. Next two are the Browning Safari .257 Roberts. I added a vintage Browning 2x7x33 (Burris made) scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]