Jack, the reason I mentioned that the way I did was, is that I ran across an article (about the .257 I believe) written years ago by John Wootters. He mentioned in that article that a friend of his wanted to order a FN Browning Safari at that time in 25-06 and Browning would not build one in that caliber because it was a wildcat at the time. So instead Wootters friend had to order a minimum of six rifles from Browning, in this case in .257 Roberts, as a special order to convert one into a 25-06.

Wootters went on to say that his wife ended up with one of the original six .257's in that order that his friend placed, which apparently she cherished. Another interesting bit of information.

That's why I was somewhat suspect of the Eastman guesstimate in regards to that Hollywood Gun Shop order he referred to as far as calibers and numbers. Who knows, FN Browning either made some in 25-06 or those guns in that wildcat cartridge were re chambered from special order .257's.

If indeed it is the latter and .257's were converted to 25-06's back then or later, then that in itself reduces the original number of Bob's still out there.

Might have mentioned that to you before, but just in case. Hopefully I run across some additional information as time goes by.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 02/22/13.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."