I have shot some elk with a .308, a lot more with the .35 Whelen. I like the .35 better. I shot some deer with the .25-06, a lot of deer with the 257 Roberts, but never considered it an elk caliber. A couple of years ago a good friend of my dad's showed up in our elk camp with a .257 and 100 gain ballistic tips. I strongly suggested he use my .35 instead ( I had killed a bull opening morning) he informed me he had killed three moose with that rifle and bullet and it was good enough for him. He left in a huff that night and never returned. My strong opinions cost my dad a friendship. Last year I hunted with a guide in the Yukon whose grandfather hunts moose every year just a couple miles from our elk camp. He's been doing that for more than fifty years. He's shot more than fifty moose. One year, party hunting and "pushing bush" with neighbors, all the moose came past him, and he killed nine for the group. ( these are farmers meat hunting for their family, and some of the finer points of the rules do get bent!) he has never lost a moose. His rifle is a .250 savage. Do I think most people are OK with a .250, .243 or .257 for elk? NO but... being a bit more diplomatic in our campfire opinions might be in order. Depends on the hunter behind the gun!