Greenhorn �

The original poster has never hunted elk and goes by �lubbockdave�. My guess is that for him hunting elk means a lengthy trip and considerable expenses, including out-of-state licenses and possibly even a guide. A .25-06 is definitely NOT what I would recommend in such circumstances � not when so may more appropriate cartridges are available.

Is the choice of cartridge really �of such minor importance when it comes to hunting and killing an elk�? Granted, there are many more important issues in the world at large or even in the limited context of hunting and killing elk � like finding one. But once one is found, it�s nice to have a rifle in hand that will put it on the ground with authority under a wide variety of circumstances.

Many people hunt elk with a .243 Win, but is it really the best cartridge for the task? I think you would agree that it is not and that, for the same reasons, neither is a .25.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.