I've been watching this thread since it opened, but hadn't found the Sazon Goya. Finally, my Safeway unveiled an entire four-foot section of Goya stuff (but they seem to have dropped my Taco Bell sauces!!!! cry !!! ). No con azafran, so I bought the tomato/cilantro.

Made up a batch today, using elk round.
Pretty good.
It was too hot, especially for the little woman, so next time I'll drop one Tbsp of chili powder. I'm surprised; it was just Safeway brand stuff, not something I expect to be 'extra'.
I also tried to thicken it, finding it quite liquid. I used some potato starch -conservatively, as I'd hate to overdo it- but it needed yet more.
We served it over beans. And then threw caution (and sensitivity for Texans' feelings) to the wind and tossed the remaining beans into the chili pot.
Warmed corn tortillas went very well with it (as did SN Pale Ale).

Thanks MadMooner and Bart. With a little tweaking for our tastes, we might finally have found a keeper chili recipe.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5