Two of the last three Labs I've owned would usually hunt close enough and point well enough to give the hunter time to get in position to shoot. They weren't always classic, "steady to wing and shot points" and if the bird or covey was antsy they would sometimes flush them but you almost always knew there was something there beforehand and were close enough for a skeet or IC choke shot.

I bought these Labs as pups from good hunting bloodlines but they weren't sold as Pointing Labs. They were also good waterfowl dogs. I got them started on "pointing" their first year with a 50 foot lead, mild use of an E-Collar, planted pigeons, dog biscuit rewards and someone else to shoot. Initially they would slow down, showing interest when they were close to birds and gradually they started to point.

IMO a lot of dogs can handle more than one style of hunting. A guy I used to hunt with years ago had a GSP that was the best all purpose dog, including waterfowl as you could want and when he pointed he was always "steady to wing and shot".

My dogs aren't going to win any field trials but they can find game, hold it and bring it back more consistently then most hunters, me included, can shoot.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 01/17/14.