Pointing labs are different enough from a traditional flushing retriever that breeding them together creates a dog that isn't any good at either job

What a crock. You've done this? You know this how?

If you took two high prey drive, bird crazy labs, from good breeding, one from flushing lines, and one from pointing lines...Both excellent performers...
You are more than likely going to end up with an excellent hunting dog. And, my GUESS would be probably a flusher.

Here's the AKC breed standard... Where do you read anything about flushing or pointing?
http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/breed_standard.cfm

And, here again...right on the AKC's breed discription page...
After being crossed with Setters, Spaniels and other Retrievers, the Labrador Retriever honed its skills as a true retriever...
http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm

Guess what setters do...They POINT!!!

As to your research, you look at breed origin and then completely forget about individual kennels contributions to breed characteristics. Kellogg kennels bred for specific traits for a long period of time and registered some questionable dogs, this is also fact.

Kellog may have practiced questionable breeding practices...I can't say that as a fact.
Do you have references to back that up, or just hearsay?
Why single them out? There are hundreds of others who have bred at will with whatever dog available and still registered them with the AKC.
That's exactly why the Lab suffers from so many health problems...
Irresponsible breeding.
But, like I wrote before...buyer beware. It's the buyers responsibility to do his homework.

I really don't understand where the strong opinions come from when the PL is brought up.
If a guy truely wants a strong flushing Lab, is it really that hard to research a breeding to make sure you're getting what you want?
What about the breeders who are just breeding bomb/drug/seeing eye/ rehab labs?
Are they doing the breed an injustice too?
I think not.