Originally Posted by ranger1
What if there were a group of breeders that were breeding GSP's for running rabbits and registering them as GSP's? Do you think that would be good for the breed? The answer, of course, is that breeding away from breed standards is a great way to destroy a breed.

This quote proves that he in fact does NOT get it. Or, at the very least is contradictory.
The GSP is simply an Americanized Deutsch Kurzhaar.
DK's are bred to be VERSATILE...including rabbits.
So, if the Americans are breeding away from this breed standard by trying to breed only bird dogs...are they destroying the breed?

In my opinion, they have created there own distinct breed, just like the difference between the DD and the GWP. This is in NO way a "knock" against GSP's or GWP's.
But, if you wanted to buy one or the other, AND your goal was to have a dog that would:
Hunt and point upland,
Retrieve land and water
Track rabbits,
Blood track
Be sharp on predators
Retrieve fur
And bay hogs...
Would your chances be better with an American version GSP/GWP or a DD/DK where it's parentage had to prove these traits?
I think the answer is obvious.
It's hard to say that without sounding like I'm talking down the GSP/GWP but I'm honestly not.
I'm just using it as an example that the above quote/example was WAAAY off base and in fact...he does not get it.

And, although I agree that breeding for ANY color, with color being solely the purpose,
Is irresponsible breeding, the supplied link reads like one man's opinion with very little reference.

The fact that some labs point while some don't is simple. Some carry and manifest the pointer genes introduced when the St. John's Water Dog (what became the Lab as we know it), started.
These are old articles that I can't find online, so I'll do my best with pics.

Written by Dr. Gerald L. Walker Ph. D., C.P.A.S.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hopefully, this will shed some light on the real history of the Labrador and not just what the AKC tells you it should do.