Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Red Salmon....

[Linked Image]

Tell me about this fish canning....and how different is this to pickling?

How do you serve the salmon?

Canning and pickling are two different things.

I do my pickling by starting off with salted salmon which is stored in 5 gal buckets and made by alternate layers of rock salt and red salmon fillets. They are soaked out to taste, the skin is peeled off and the fillets are cut into small bite-sized chunks. I mix up a 50/50 or stronger water-vinegar mix, sugar to taste, add pickling spice and fresh cut onion. Add fish and refrigerate for three days or so before eating.

The pickled fish can be jarred by using the hot water bath method.

For canned salmon, I skin the fillets, cut into manageable pieces stuff into a mason jar with a commercial canning salt tablet or 1/2 tsp of canning/pickling salt, and pressure cook for 90 minutes at 10psi or better.

Makes for good salmon patties and salmon salad for sammiches.

I also can kippered salmon. They are brined in a secret family recipe known to all for 24hrs, they are then hung in the smokehouse for 3-5 days (depending on weather) to partially dry (firm up). They are cold smoked intermittently primarily with apple wood and a handful of alder chips during this period. When they are ready they are cut up, stuffed into jars and also pressure cooked for 90 mins @ 10+ PSI.

The kipper can be eaten as is, or mixed with cream cheese and used as a dip.

I have some moose roasts from this past fall I think I'll thaw out and jar come to think of it. He was a tough bastid anyway. Even the burger is a little tough.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z