Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I get consistent results as posted over hundreds of rounds between cleanings. I seat to square kiss each new lot of bullets. I use DBC, and in some rifles, moly, too...

The proof is on the target wink

I need a lesson on Ballistic AE's group measuring tool. Can't quite figure it out importing a picture of a group.

So, you go hundreds of rounds between cleanings and you seat bullets to "kiss" the lands?

In what condition is the bore when you have determined where the "kiss" is? Clean to bare metal, after 25 rounds, or after some other number of rounds?

I'll guarantee that each of those measurements differ due to the amount of fouling on the leade

Also, how do you account for throat/leade wear?

In as few as 100 rounds or one box of bullets, you will have some throat erosion. Your bullets seated to the square kiss will now not be. Things change quickly in the throat at first on a new barrel, then the change slows but it's always there and ongoing.

Bullets/loads seated off of the lands are more tolerant in the accuracy department to this ongoing change.

This, of course, is IME. YMMV

wink

PM me and let me know where you're getting hung up, and I'll walk you through the process.

I kiss clean, nearly clean, or not clean, depending on where the individual barrel is at when I'm assembling the load. When accuracy degrades, I lengthen to restore the square kiss. I've noticed a trend that this typically happens in my rifles at about 20-50 thou throat erosion, which normally takes 500-800 rounds in the cartridges I shoot. This is often the case of having to chase lands after a certain amount of erosion with a load developed using the ladder or OCW method, as well, IME.

It works for me as well as the ladder/OCW methods, and is quicker and easier.