It showed in the Browning 50 cal when you asked if a gun had to kill people to be cool.

And here. Try tracking shiet in that rain and thick stuff after a bullet hasn't made it past the shoulder. Of course a Remington Core-loss is perfect for every situation, just like your wood/blue guns I guess...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by shootem
Good luck in your hunt but my brain just won't fit around this. Never considered having a rifle as just a temporary tool. Do the deed then begone. No memories attached, no emotion. Can a rifle be a prostitute?

I don't know the physics of bridge building and I don't care to learn. Every time I drive over the bridge I give no thought to the engineering, design or builder, I just drive over it.

It isn't to get your mind around a reason for getting/using a gun when you obviously haven't experienced the same conditions I have in a wet Alaskan environment near and around Ketchikan, Alaska. Annual rainfall there is near 15 feet, or 180 inches of rain. That is a lot when you compare it to western Montana at about 18-20 inches.

I have been there hunting several times and took a Weatherby Accu-mark in stainless steel and my son took a 460 Weatherby with the waterproof finish on it. We had to disassemble the guns every night in the cabin and there was rust spotting at the end of every day.

One day was spent in the cabin just drying out clothes and gear...

I haven't heard these stories, I experienced them. Surely there is someone else out there that has gotten wet and had similar results.

I have concluded about Alaska:

Gore-Tex doesn't work
Stainless steel will rust
You can't be overprepared
You will get wet
You will get really wet
You will get soaked
Your skin will wrinkle
Everything is an expedition
You will have a great time

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"