http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

"The Manuscript, The Best Hunting Bullet" compiles a bunch of data reference most 180 grain hunting bullets, in addition to at least one popular target bullet, tested for penetration and retained weight, with impact velocities measured in 100fps increments, for as slow as 1400fps to as fast as 3100fps. If one was interested in looking at comparative performance between Core-Lokt pointed 180s vs round nose 180s, or between those and most common as well as premiums, the bullet chart is most interesting. But, this relates to 180 grain 30cal bullets only, so it would apply to 30 caliber hunting cartridges from standard to magnum, shooting those bullets.

As for the Partition vs PTD-SP-CL vs RN-SP-CL vs A-Frame; even with impact velocities as fast as 3100fps, the Partition shank retains an avg. 125 grains and penetrates 17", the PTD-CL retains only 56 grains but the smaller diameter chunk penetrates 11 1/2 inches, the RN-CL holds together better retaining an avg. 123 grains and penetrates 12 inches, while the A-Frame retains 167 grains and penetrates 12.6 inches. You can follow the chart and see the point where the velocity is insufficient to disrupt the PTD-CL bullet, and you can follow this through the sweet spot to the point where the velocity is pushed to the point the PTD-CL begins to disintegrate. The RN-CL better holds together throughout the velocity range, but throughout the sweet spot for the PTD-CL, the RN-CL has reduced penetration due to the larger diameter. You can also see how the Partition shank retains mass in a smaller diameter compared to how the A-Frame maintains mass which reduces the penetration compared to the Partition, due to the larger diameter. Interesting stuff, being the work and expense involved to conduct these tests, with which valuable information can be gleaned for free.

I'd expect that such differences could be found, not only between PTD vs RN Core-Lokt 30 cal 180 grain bullets, but between different weights and different calibers. So I am one who believes that some who condemn the lot, are mistaken when they have issues with particular caliber and designs of Core-Lokts, and then apply their individual performance characteristics to each and every Core-Lokt bullet manufactured.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/01/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood