Originally Posted by bellydeep
What are they?......

I know mule deer has a formula for predicting these things. I'm curious as to what others results are.

bellydeep;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this cold snap finds you keeping acceptably warm.

John's formula is this - for every 4% increase in case capacity one gets 1% increase in velocity.

I've run the numbers on a couple rifles I've played with, a .250AI and a .30 Gibbs and they work out pretty close.

Pretty close of course with the caveat being "all other factors being equal".

Like my cyber friend tex n cal, I had a 26" barrel No 1 in .300Win Mag and was able to get similar velocities as I recall.

It may or may not be of interest that we have two .308 Normas with 23 5/8" and 24" barrels respectively and with 165gr/168gr bullets were able to get awfully close to the 26" barrel .300Win. Mag.

As far as a .300 Weatherby goes, I've only shot a now gone shooting mentor's which was a Model 70 with a 24" barrel. While I can't recall specific velocities from that rifle, I do recall him being unimpressed with them.

My gut feeling is that if one wants to have a .300 Weatherby be "all it can be" - especially with lighter bullets than 180gr, then a 26" barrel would be the way to go.

Anyway sir, that's what I can remember on this cold November morning, hopefully it was a bit of use to you.

All the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"