Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
My M70 pf 24" 300 Win Mag shoots a max loaded 180 NPT with good accuracy using RL-22 just fine at 3110fps seated to 3.34" (because of the mag block in the action), yet my M700ss has a 3.6" box but a tighter chamber and will not even begin to tolerate the same load. Ended up using IMR 4350 and 180 gr NPT's with it avg 2995 fps . Can't see a difference on how dead the animals are with either load. I mean you know they were just as dead as you can get them. Everything shot with my 308 Norma gets dead too. Damn it all for there not being a provision in determining the degree of deadness. Oh besides that you can buy 300 Win Mag ammo just about anywhere ammo is sold. Magnum Man

MM/RD: Far as I'm concerned, you can take most all the belted and non belted 300 magnums, toss them all in a bag,shake it up, reach in and grab one....and end up about the same place. Things like a 30/378 excepted. But cripes I have never seen one of those used by anybody. smile

Spot on, and IME you can still toss the 300RUM and 30/378 in that bag and have the same results. The 300WBY, 30-378 and RUM will beat the 300WM and the others by a little (about 150fps as has been stated) but the much bigger cases for me only produced more noise and recoil. They did not beat the 300WBY at all in my limited (a couple of rifles in each) testing. I think that after one gets to about the 300WBY case size, there is a severe decrease in returns for the added powder etc. In my case, the differences were nil, nothing and zero. Thusly, I consider the 300WBY the best of the bunch, but the difference between it and a 300 win is pretty small. For me, the velocity whore that I am, it is enough difference that if I was going to build a 30 cal anything, the Weatherby would be my choice and I killed a lot of game with mine when that was my primary hunting rifle. But there are no knocks or fly's on the Winchester version, either. Most people and most game will never notice a difference.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500