Originally Posted by BobinNH
RD: That was Terry Weiland with the 257. As I recall the rifle was not free-bored either but my memory could be bad on that point...in any event he could not shoot factory stuff in it.

This barrel stuff is funny, though. You get a tight barrel that doesn't go fast then you get one that does and it's hard to pin down "rules". In the end I guess when you see a barrel and round performing above and beyond the normal velocity levels,it's usually about pressure.

I go based on what is within generally accepted velocity levels for a given cartridge and have mostly stayed out of trouble. smile

I don't ever recall trying to turn my 30/06 into a 300 WM or trying to turn my 280 Ackley into a 7mm Rem Mag and frankly, I don't understand why folks do it either. I'd bet that if a guy here is a handloader/reloader he probably is enough of a "rifle looney" that he or she doesn't own just one rifle either. It's one thing to try and optimize a load for your particular rifle and an altogether different matter to drive pressures through the roof making it unsafe.