Through gunauction I asked if he really knew how the rifle started out and received this tall tale, I mean answer:

Yup just whipping up a story. That^s why I have 100% perfect feedback on every site I buy and sell on. Your smart azz comments don^t really deserve an answer, but being a nice guy I^ll respond. Basically the guy who sold me the rifle lied. When my pals at the Remington collector^s society researched it, it was found to be an action from a 1967 USMC contract in 30-06. Probably went to Nam as a sniper rifle (no they all were not 7.62 NATO) and some how found it^s way back and was used as the basis for this rifle. The whole story will probably never be known but it is a fine 300 H&H from back when 700s were fine rifles. While I know you^re just a trouble maker and certainly not a buyer, common courtesy (something you should work on) dictates my courteous response.

Had I known it was a sniper rifle from nam the first time he listed it here I would have paid $5k for it. Thinking he should stop snorting pixie sticks.