I have some experience with the .41 Magnum on all three of the critters you mentioned. I don�t keep track (although I should) so I can�t give you exact numbers. My guess is half a dozen deer and maybe that many hogs. I have not personally shot a bear with the .41 Magnum, but I have watched it done twice. I know some on the forum will say it�s not enough experience, but it�s what I have and from it I have formed some opinions. I�ll leave it to you to judge if they are valid.

My opinion, and I stress it�s simply my opinion, is that with the right bullets (and that is an important factor) it�s a decent whitetail gun in most hunting situations. It will work OK on bears and hogs, but I prefer something bigger. They can be tough and at times dangerous. Both times I saw the .41 Mag used on bears was while hunting with dogs. In that situation, to protect the dogs, I like a bigger gun to end problems faster. Also, in a bait or spot and stalk situation a bigger gun makes sense. Bears can be hard to track and I like a cartridge that punches clean through for a better chance of a blood trail. The .41 Magnum did not do that with any of the multiple hits on those two black bears. (Although it might have with better bullets.)

For the bears and hogs I would pick 250 grain, flat nose, hard cast, bullets in the .41 Magnum. I have used that bullet in handloads on hogs and deer. (The same bullet that Federal loads, from the same supplier.) I have not shot any cast bullets at bears, but that�s what I would load if I were planning to hunt bears with a .41 Mag. They also work well for deer, and I have had some good results with the Winchester 240-grain Supreme Platinum Tip ammo on Texas whitetails.

Bryce