Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Up here we either burn the brush or mow it. Shooting it might make you feel like you are getting something done 9recoil) but it really has very little effect on the brush.

Burning and mowing is too much like brush genocide..how could you?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Burning limited to winter with snow cover. Mowing limited to summer when snow is gone. Rifle good for all seasons I guess...

grin

Mmmm, rifles, is there anything they CANT do?

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've toted a heavy-barreled 25-06 fitted with a 6x24x40 scope and Harris bipod, through the woods and brush while deer hunting.

Likely not anyone's first choice as a "brush" gun, but I was on my way to areas where it would be a better choice, so WTH? And I've actually killed deer with it, while in the woods and brush, so again, WTH? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well, you guys have all come up with good posts and points, and no contention ( wtf..?..)
Seems like we are all pretty much on the same page, handling qualities take the nod over caliber for brush guns...I know I won't intentionally take a shot where I can't
"thread the needle"...one of my brush shot stories was a whitetail standing right behind a thin screen of juniper, about 6 inches thick, I figured WTH, and sent a TBBC that way, sure enough, it was deflected, but not enough to not kill the deer....lucky that time...

Ok, if we need a little spice to the thread, lets talking about hunting wolves in the brush, and chasing them with pitbulls and democrats.... grin

Why would you subject either your pitbull or a wolf for that matter to a democrat. Perhaps the expression :Misery loves company?"

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
ingwe,

I'll be in your town this weekend. Maybe you could buy me a beer?

Travis

I would love to, but I'm heading out at noon Sat. to go to SLC and pick up Chesty's Marine, and bring him back Sunday night for his Handling school...It's time to turn the little dude over!

Best excuse you could have given... Congrats!

Travis

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
podunkkennels - Remember wolf's hunt in packs (their strength) so, unless the pitbull bought some friends to the party, bye bye pitbull. BTW - I LIKE pitbulls and admire their courage as hog catch dogs. Regards, Homesteader.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lol I was just pouring kerosene on the fire and lookie what happened....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Probably some of you guys remember seeing in an ancient magazine where a gunwriter (can't remember who) was deflection testing fast and slow bullets. He was shooting through some vertical wood dowels with paper a few feet behind the dowels and all bullets deflected! Even a 500 grainer from a .458 win.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
ingwe,

I'll be in your town this weekend. Maybe you could buy me a beer?

Travis

I would love to, but I'm heading out at noon Sat. to go to SLC and pick up Chesty's Marine, and bring him back Sunday night for his Handling school...It's time to turn the little dude over!

Best excuse you could have given... Congrats!

Travis

Travis,

You may want to follow up on that alibi. Ingwe may be headed down to the Swamp to visit his newest fan club member...

Those two seem pretty tight these days...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Bow O Truth Deflection Test

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A �Brush Rifle� to me is a the .30-30 with 170 gr bullet or the .35 Rem with 200 gr bullet.
But, the truth is that any short fast handling rifle of any caliber will work.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My Brush gun:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

35 Remington built to replicate the 308 7600P. I like to load 357 bullets into 35 caliber rifles.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like an accurate short lightweight gun like the model 7 I pictured earlier in this thread. The object is to shoot thru the holes in the brush, not the brush itself. That is where an accurate bolt gun has it over any other gun. If you can drill tacks with your gun out to 100yds, you can get that bullet thru that 1" hole and put it in the deer's vitals. Slow rainbow trajectories make sneaking bullets thru branches a bit trickier.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Growing up we had to use shotgun slugs for deer. It was consistent practice, using Remington Sluggers, to shoot through any light brush, branches, or grass that got in the way.

Most of the time, the slug made it through and hit the deer. I have no idea if it was tumbling, distorted, or anything else. It did kill deer for us.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OK, a few threads lately have continued to perpetuate the long standing myth of heavy, slow bullets being the ultimate in "brush" guns.
IIRC EVERY experiment I have ever seen or read about over the years comes up with similar conclusions,a .243 and a 100 grainer, a .30-06 and a 150 grainer, and similar high speed pointy bullet stuff all fared better in testing than the "traditional" brush cartridges.
Course, I have "selective" memory,and no citations handy, but " Brush" guns are right up there in mythology with "Barrel break-in procedures"

Rebuttals/ opinions???

Also...it has always been my humble opinion that I was out in the woods to shoot deer, not brush....just sayin'...

Your Poobahness

Sorry to have taken so long to respond, but I have been referencing the works that is the last word (Vicapedia) and have found your answer to the "brush gun".

Light, quick handling, and of at least .35 caliber.

See below:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One of the best "Brush Guns" ever developed is the Browning BMG (Ma Duece). A 30-06 clone. Little heavy to carry and expensive to shoot, but will get the job done. I prefer a 8x57 195gr. Horn @ about 2400fps.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My vote definitely goes to the Vicapedia reference!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Taconic11
One of the best "Brush Guns" ever developed is the Browning BMG (Ma Duece). A 30-06 clone. Little heavy to carry and expensive to shoot, but will get the job done.

The H&K 40mm Grenade Machine Gun is also very effective...

350 rounds per minute and has a 'box' 32 round capacity... A little heavy to lug around (around 60 pounds) so those that prefer lightweight rifles might go with something else.

Here is a little video of one in action;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN4GlNZB1-g

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think we could've won the Alamo with a couple of those! Got it on my "want list"!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.