Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

You need a B-29. Either that or a 24-gauge side-by-side.

You're probably right. Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I have that Rem 742 in the closet. I could have it re-barreled at the same time I'm having the pump modification done. Ahlman's doesn't show it as one of the choices, but maybe you could lend me the reamer.

24 GA is out. I'm scared I'd get the loads mixed in with my 20's. I did that once with 16 GA shell on a bird hunt luckily the 1100 didn't come into battery.

You bring up very good points. The problem is that I'm probably not a real gun loony. At times I show signs of it, but I have this nasty practical streak. I'm not proud of it. I'd much rather be sitting in my reloading cave plotting how to get 280 REM performance from my 7.5X55 Swiss (or is that the other way around?)

The truth is, I've managed to put together a fairly complete collection of everything I need, and I did it well before hitting 60. I suppose I have you guys to thank for that, in part. It also goes back to hanging out with some really great fellows early on.

Pistols. Hmmmm. That might be an interesting diversion. My only big problem is that I filled all the big niches over a decade ago. I keep thinking about it, but it is hard to see the benefits of a .327 over .357.

The only big change in my shooting non-hunting shooting habits has been in my relation with the coyotes. They got to be a real problem last year. A neighbor had one make a run at him while he was walking between sheds. I had a pair go after my dogs. My response was to issue a standing order at camp: all persons going beyond the curtilage were to go armed. At the same time, KYHillChick and I both got our CCW's. I did not want to get picked up for carrying a loaded firearm in the truck, just because I'd forgotten to unload.

'HillChick has had a GP100 for 10 years. I had a Ruger P90. I added a Ruger LCR in .357 Mag in the spring for in-town 2-legged vermin. Depending on the mood, I'm now carrying either a Ruger Blackhawk or a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag, depending on my mood. However, as you can see, I'm being waaaay too practical, mostly re-purposing what I already had.

I'm beginning to think the .223 REM idea is the way to go this time around. I have a Savage 340 in .223 REM. But it is not the best platform for starting out on a quest for accuracy.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer