When I first read your post a couple days ago, I started racking my brain for a solution. In the meantime, it sounds like you're now leaning towards a smallbore tack driving rifle, but just in case you're still thinking..

I know you said you had all the .22's you needed for plinking, but do you have a good .22 handgun for a trail gun? You know, just in case a rogue pop can/ snake/ or other target of opportunity presents itself and needs perforating?

I've been thinning and adding to my arsenal for years, trying to keep the numbers minimized but sufficient, (and like Phil Gramm, I think I've got a few more than I need, but not as many as I want).. but recently rediscovered the joy of plinking with a .22 pistol.

I had a heavy Ruger Mark I bull barrel, and it was an accurate and sweet gun, but like my 4" 629, at nearly 3 lbs, it was too darned heavy to just pack around without a purpose.

After doing some thinking and research, I ended up buying a Ruger 22/45 Lite, doing a few small modifications, and buying a holster for it.. but one of the Browning Buckmarks would've worked just as well too.

After running a few of some of my favorite loads through it and confirming it's both reliable and accurate enough for the purpose I have in mind, I decided to take it on it's maiden voyage of said purpose. A hike up the hill, through the woods, find an impromptu target, then run a magazine through it without ear plugs.

Quickly decided that Velocitors, unmuffled out of a short barrel without ear protection, is borderline painful. Next, when I get the funds, I'd like to add a suppressor.