Oh, another thing, I'd never really seen the attraction to AR's, but a few years ago I thought it would be a good idea to get something that could function as a longer range self-defense gun/ plinker.. just in case.

I'd always wanted a .444 marlin or .45/70 lever gun, but in the end, went with something "more practical" for my side of the country.. a stainless Marlin 44 mag lever gun. Besides, I've owned more than a few .44's over the years, loved them, and already had a boatload of reloading components for it.

Gotta say, it really made my day, heck decade! to learn that Ohio had opened up the deer hunting regulations to allow "pistol caliber" rifles a couple of years ago. Also, it's been a real pleasure to develop loads, sight it in at the shooting bench, and to use my own handloads to kill deer these last couple of years. No more $3-a-shot, deer slugs with near elephant gun recoil for me... unless I happen to be in the mood.

That being said, I'd really like to have one of those Ruger 77/44's like Digital Dan was talking about. I just prefer the feel of a bolt action over a lever gun.

P.S. I finally decided to get myself an AR last fall too. Gotta say I wish I'd have done it years ago! It's a fun gun to shoot!