Originally Posted by BarryC
LOL! There are a lot of people out there who shouldn't be shooting wildcats!

I ran into a guy at the range one day who was complaining that his ultra-expensive match grade .50 BMG wouldn't chamber GI ammo! I tried to explain, but he'd have none of it. He kept pointing out how much he paid for the rifle! laugh

You are right. There are a lot of people who follow the instructions on the die box and screw the die down to where it touches the shell holder. They don't know any different, they're following instructions that came with the dies and assume the instructions are good. Same as everything else resize dies have a tolerance and sometimes a different spec.
I have a set of RCBS 30 Herrett dies from the 70s when I had a TC pistol. I can screw that set down to the shell holder and it sizes the brass close enough for me to use, not perfect but close. Then I have a set of Hornady Herrett dies. If I screw it down to the shell holder it pushes the shoulder back .040" further than the RCBS set.
Tim W found a set of 6.8 Redding dies that would size the brass .021 under minimum when screwed down to the shellholder.
Precision Shooting's reloading guide is the most detailed guide to reloading for accuracy I have ever seen. Too bad the guy that run the printing co retired and no one continued to print Precision Shooting or the reloading guide. A lot of the older guys that helped with the book still post and write articles on 6mmBR.com.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"