One thing I will say: Toyota worshipers are loyal to a fault. They remind me of the GM guys in the late '70's who stuck by GM even when the tops of their trunks were rusting off in two years.

My '97 Taco, an extended cab V6 rode like a brick. Had a heck of a time even getting it to start. My wife hated it so bad, we had a new 2.0L Cavalier the same year. She insisted we take the Cavalier on a 1,500 mile round trip.

By 2013, I thought surely they improved it, but they did not. I wanted a smaller truck, Ford had just quit making the Ranger in '12, Dodge (not a fan), quit making the Dakota, and Chevy quit making the Colorado/Canyon. So what made Toyota so great? NO competition, they won by default.

They took the 4.0L and downsized it to 3.5. There was the smog pump noise, the six hour noise, no locking tailgate, and a child-like nav system. It has a poly bed with a flawed design so when a cap is installed it will leak. They are still reliable, but the tired old engine has no performance. Ironically, it only got 18 MPG, and I had to use Premium fuel to get it. Like the rusty trunk GM owners of the '70's, the supporters still cheer them on.

Ford F150 owns the 1/4 ton truck market. (had 3 of them from 2008-2013), and though the Tundra is a reliable truck, it would have to improve a lot to over take the Ford. Toyota cannot even compete in the heavy duty diesel truck market. They have nothing to offer to go up against the Power Stroke diesel when serious towing capacity is required.

Before I bought my 2016 Colorado, I drove a shiny orange Taco. The lack of competition in the sector was apparent. The tired 3.5 could barely get up to speed. The cheerleaders say it's a truck not a race car. That's for sure. If you buy one, you better like struggling to get going in traffic. My wife liked the look and color of it so much, I was STILL going to buy it, and spend 5,000-7,000 to install the super charger that was available in '13, but they discontinued it.

The small Toyotas were great utility trucks in the early to late '80's. Those are still sought after as great hunting/farm trucks. The Tundra which is obviously in a different class, is no F-150. The Taco has languished into mediocrity due to lack of competition. If/when they raise the bar, I'll look at them again. Until then, like the rusty GM's, their time has passed.