That's not exactly right. The brake-based system is a limited slip, not a locker. Toyota offers an e-locker on some models of both Tundra and Tacoma which is exactly that, a locking differential.

Nissan does the same. Prior to my Taco I drove a Frontier which had brake-based limited slips and the e-locker.

Their so-called limited slips are indeed pretty pathetic with both brands. The e-lockers for both work very well. I think the brake-based systems are a poor design. If they're going to the trouble of doing limited slips they should do them right ... differential-based. The best combination setup of a locker which is a limited slip when the locker is not engaged is the Detroit E-locker. What they're trying to do, though, is use the brake-based limited slip as part of their stability control systems .. the piece that is screwing up badly for me. A differential-based limited slip can't be used in that manner.

I'd really like to find a new 4WD truck with no stability control and no ABS. For gravel, ABS is a real liability. That's one place I'll give Toyota some credit, the ABS is not as ill-behaved on gravel as Nissan's was, at least in my sample of one truck of each brand.

As I look farther into my problem, a few people have posted what seems to be a way to jumper around the yaw sensor which is the source of my problem. I have to find better diagrams and see what I can do. It's one last thing to do before trading the Taco in.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...