I no longer shoot jacketed bullets in WW2 rifles with some exceptions. When I started shooting they were not that old, now they are. Hmmm. My first 06 was a Springfield 03-A3. Dad bought that as surplus for about $9 I think. It wasn't mush more than 20 years old then.

The worst powder load combination was the slowest Winchester ball powder at that time in a 300 Win Mag. Shooting text book loads one hot summer's day- Ft Peck MT. Sighting in the rifle and checking the loads 100+ degrees. First shot, I couldn't see the hole in the target, I needed the exercise so I walked down range (100 yards) and back. That first shot showed no sign off excess pressure. The second shot the bolt lifted a little harder. I looked at the base of the cartridge. The primer showed some pressure. No shiny brass or anything. I walked down range and back. The next shot, powder in my face, the bolt was almost frozen in place. I finally got the bolt open. the case could be reused again with a shotgun primer perhaps. No damage to the rifle so... sick

No I didn't shoot another load. I pulled all the bullets. That was the only pound of that powder and I've never bought it again.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/05/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally