Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by brayhaven
Originally Posted by jwall

I respectfully suggest that you try to duplicate those same tests using 'premium' bullets. I think you'll find 'different' results.

Jerry

Thanks for your civility Jerry.:)
You might be right, but the only premium bullets *** back then*** were the old Barnes pure copper & lead & the Nos partition.

"back then" and 'Barnes & N P' tells me it has been a long time SINCE those tests.

I encourage you to RE do the tests w/todays Modern Bullets.

It makes sense to me that c/c bullets expand much more at HI vel and therefore reduces penetration.

We have a few more Premium Bullets today that will withstand HI vel and penetrate MORE.

Jerry

Yes that was back in the early 70's. (Showing my age)
I wouldn't be surprised if the new copper bullets TSX etc, did penetrate as well at higher velocities. They penetrate much better in the classic calibers, at moderate velocities as well. If you can penetrate your deer from end to end, it doesn't really matter, unless you're concerned with (hydro) meat damage etc. All that extra energy isn't much use expended in a pine tree on the other side..
If I was really interested I would do the test again. I think the faster a bullet expands in tissue, the faster it slows down and the faster round may still penetrate less or at least no more. The fact it expands less, may or may not be a factor, I now use those TTSX (type) bullets in about everything, including my 7x57R drillings with great success. Calibers that I once considered poor for deer, like the 243, are much more acceptable with bullets that stay together and finish the job.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/