Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by BobinNH

recovered 140's because his were started some 400 fps slower from a 7/08 and had much less rotational velocity too. Likely impact velocity was a lot less too....which goes to show what we all should know about impact velocity. The higher the velocity the more violent the expansion. You can't expect a bullet to behave exactly the same way given those differences in velocity. Anyway that 140 AB has 59 gr of bullet left.It still killed good because it chewed up plenty of vital tissue on the way.

How do you know that the velocity was 400 fps less? Less rotational velocity? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Or...do you believe that the 7/08 is only capable of 2800 fps with a 140?

Funny stuff.

Did you look at the exit wound on that bull I shot at 25 yards with my 7RM and 160 AB? If your "theory" holds any water, it should have had a basketball sized exit, or at least displayed the "violent expansion "theory". Impact velocity was likely over 2900 FPS. Didn't look too "violent" to me.

I've never seen violent expansion with an AB, and I've never seen a lack of expansion either.

IMO/E, there isn't enough difference, performance wise, between a partition and an AB to even discuss. I shot partitions for close to 30 years, in a wide variety of rifles. They work great too, but no better than an AB.

Butch if you think I was being critical I wasn't. I was looking at the bullet you shot at (what?) 629 yards from a 7/08.

Yeah I think a 7/08 is capable of 2800 fps with a 140, no more than 2900 at sane pressures. That's based on having had 8-10 of them.

What was your starting velocity? Your impact velocity? I was comparing it to mine at 3200 fps + from a 7 Rem mag and impacting at 175 yards. There's a picture of the bullet posted above. That's all that's left....59 grains and it was ground to a pulp. Facts whether you like them or not.

It's also a fact that the rotational velocity will be higher starting the bullet at 3200+ than at 3100, 2900, 2800, or whatever velocity you are starting them at,assuming the twist is the same..What twist is your 7/08?

If you think that rotational velocity has no effect on bullet expansion guess again.

I would also venture a guess that your impact velocity at 629 yards was a LOT less than mine. So, what you think is BS I have no idea......Geezus.

Yes, I think that expansion is more violent at close range than long range....that doesn't mean that it isn't "controlled" as in your 160 7RM load, or like my Bitterroots shown above.

They call bullets like Bitterroots, partitions, and AB's "controlled expansion bullets" for a reason. Surely you know that.

Yes I saw the exit from the 160....big friggin deal...I've seen it 100 times from 160 Nosler Partitions. Violent expansion does not mean "disintegration"...

Everyone ( I thought) knows that bullets expand more violently at high velocity than low velocity.

Again I have no idea what you think was BS about what I posted, unless your reading comprehension is lacking somehow.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/29/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.