Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Wondering here:
Why is society willing to call homosexuality normal, and a happenstance of birth/genetics, or whatever, and it should be accepted and no effort should be made to change it to restore it to the norm.

And we also say that birth defects such as a cleft palate is a happenstance of birth/genetics, or whatever, and it should be surgically changed to restore it to the norm.

Yes, surgical alteration is done in transgenders, but I'm talking about homosexuals. And besides, transgenders are biologically and genetically still binary -- they are genetically either male or female, despite the claims. And that can't be changed.

In other words, if physical birth defects are recognized and addressed, why are so many people unwilling to accept psychological birth defects? The result is that we take heroic steps to correct physical birth defects, but psychological birth defects are tolerated and encouraged.
Steve.

Come on, that'd not an argument even worth addressing. I'm sure you know better than this.

xxclaro, he didn't present an "argument", he asked an interesting question. I'm curious - in your mind why is his question not worth addressing? A lot of money is spent trying to deal with psychological defects, including some congenital. I could be wrong, but this looks like you are trying to put him down and dodging a seemingly cogent question. What is your explanation?

Ok. Physical birth defects such as cleft palate are obvious at birth and will cause problems for the person as they grow older. Easiest just to fix them right away. You can't tell if a baby is gay. If a person wants to take action to stop being gay, that's fine and I don't think anyone will stop them but are you going to try to force gays to undergo some sort of straightening therapy against their will? We do recognize psychological defects in people, and if they pose a threat to others we do try to fix them. You can be as messed up as you want as long as your not a threat to someone else though. It was just a ridiculous comparison,imo.