Originally Posted by Allen917
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by carbon12
It was interesting, but helped me make up my mind that LBGT is a choice, not a condition, and at the time, most of them would agree with that statement. My overall impression was that were uniformly unhappy.

Your impression that homosex attraction is a choice and that those that practice that condition were uniformly unhappy implies that they were uniformly choosing to be unhappy.

Do you find that odd?

I think it is the other way around. There is a uniform unhappiness that leads them to make a poor choice, trying to escape thier unhappiness. I've seen it more recently in one of my God children. She is unhappy with something in her life,is drinking to excess, and living a lesbian lifestyle. I'm fairly certain she doesn't consciously know why she is unhappy. I've spent a lot of time fishing with her and wish I could help her more.

Fair enough.

Depression is damn curse and obviously not a choice.

That may be like arguing which came first, the chicken or the egg. In my small subset of the LBGT community that I have delt with enough to have some knowledge of, and inordinate number are being treated for depression, however not all. They all seem to have an underlying unhappiness though. It's manifest in a lot of ways such as domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse, etc...a seemingly much higher rate than straight people. I grant you I am in no way an expert in this. All I can offer is my experience with a small group and their friends I have been acquainted with the last 35 years.

Allen,

You are hitting on one of the most difficult issues in Social Science. Correlation is easy to spot, however, the direction of causality can be extremely difficult. Let me give you an example.

In your subset, are there underlying biological conditions that cause homosexuality, and does that lead to unhappiness, depression, alcohol abuse etc, or does depression lead to desperate behaviors such as alcohol abuse and homosexuality. Trying to determine something of this nature often requires a complex double regression model. Unfortunately, your psychologist etc. are notoriously lousy at statistics.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell