Depends on the use.

I pick and choose as needed. Velocity and BC help with wind drift issues. Drop is now taken care of by rangefinders.

Meat damage is always more the higher the MV IMHO, which is why for fast rounds I run Barnes without a doubt.

I never try to get the most out of any round anymore. If I feel the need for more speed I'll grab a larger round.

Speed wise vs kills. As a whole the faster the impact the less they run, but I"ve seen fast rounds and deer still run a long ways. I"ve seen very slow rounds and they not make 20-30 steps.

I think both have uses. In fact if hunting out ofa blind I often carry my 300/221 suppressed, and either a 308 which I"m comfortable with to about 700 yards, or a 257 wtby which I"m easily comfortable with to 400 yards, just have not had the chance to push it further on paper enough to be confident.

In the end these days if I have to just grab something and go and its not a trophy type hunt, I'll grab my 308 every time running 185 bergers.

If its trophy I'll grab my 300 wtby running 180ttsx.

OTOH the very last deer I shot last year was with a civil war musket turned 19 ga smoothbore, running a patched round ball with either 50 or 60 grains of Du Point 2F. Deer ran maybe 50 yards.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....