Originally Posted by rost495
And yet, while MV helps with wind, generally folks that talk what I call mid range shots, are alwyas worried about drop, which can be covered, but never mention wind, which affects things certainly starting at 300 and beyond....

Drop has never been a concern of mine. Wind has always been a concern that needs to be worked with to be understood.

Jeff I have played with wind here and out west enough to be cognizant of it;even in fun shooting out there at rocks and coyotes and watched the wind just blow bullets completely off track.

So yes, I pay a lot of attention to it and have passed shots and even backed off a stalk because the wind was too bad to risk and shot.

Like you say, I can control drop via knowing trajectory but wind is tougher...and IME much worse at full value. I passed a shot at the biggest bull elk Ive ever seen with a tag in my pocket because there was no escaping a full value wind that was leaning ponderosa pines way over and I could not be sure of the effect at close to 600 yards.

Don't talk about it because my inclination is to pass the shot if i think it's bad. I can control and manipulate trajectory in advance but I never know what the wind is going to be come time to shoot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.