Originally Posted by BobinNH
The general trend of sporting cartridges since the 30-30 has been increased velocity.

Bob, somehow it seems that ^^this^^ has been forgotten.
Why doesn't everybody just use a 44/40 ? smirk

Velocity flattens trajectory, reduces wind drift, and with the same twist it imparts more rotational velocity.

Bob, I think people are not listening or they just hear what they WANT to hear. frown

High velocity and rotational velocity helps bullet expansion and makes bullets more effective at distance...

You know, it seems that I read/learned that @ 40 yrs. ago. I guess some just aren't old enuff.

It's funny watching people tap dancing around and trying to act morally superior somehow as they treat velocity like it's a venereal disease. smile

Yes, I read/hear that condescending attitude. I guess it makes some feel better.

laugh laugh (per VD)

I like stuff doing 3000-3200 fps for most BG cartridges and bullets.

Agreed, I find that envelope a very good compromise with trajectory and recoil. smile

Otherwise I've never seen velocity do anything "bad" unless someone mismatched the bullet to the velocity of the cartridge.

OR when people put the bullet in the WRONG place. frown If you hunt long enuff it will happen.

Rifles that shoot better at sub par velocities are a rifle problem; not a velocity problem.

!!!!!!!!!! I've seldom read that !!!!!!!! I agree....

OR the handloader hasn't used the right components.

If we think velocity is a problem, try shooting a few 500 yard bull elk with a 30-30 instead of a 300 magnum. Tell me which one works better. wink

To which the response cliche' is....

"learn how to hunt" meaning get closer.

I know from yrs. of WT hunting that there are occasions when you don't have time to get closer OR it is impossible.

If you haven't figured it out..... Great post Bob.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!