Originally Posted by smokepole

I think that's right, up to a point but it seems like that trend is changing. To re-state the obvious, with scopes that reliably adjust for distance, flat trajectory isn't as important as it once was. Lot's of guys are throttling back and shooting milder cartridges, especially those that shoot high volume.

The popularity of the Creedmor is a good indicator.

Mornin Smokey -

I can only speak for myself buy I'll take a 400 yd MPBR advantage THEN add adjusting scopes/dots etc.

For many yrs now +/- 400 yds is about my maximum hunting distance available. Some say 400 yds is not long range and for some that's true.

The % of hunters actually hunting and shooting past 500 yds is very small. We read HERE all the time that the majority of game is shot LESS than 200 yds. Even in this thread some have said they hunt what they call 30/30 ranges. So...

This is my personal position, I don't hunt/shoot any cartridge that's NOT CLOSE to 3000 fps. It has taken me over a year to kick the 6.5X55 in the BUTT to get to 3000 fps.

So many times in WT hunting in the Southern Piney woods there is NOT ENUFF time for binos--ranging--cranking knobs--aiming. You'd best be ready to judge antlers, aim AND shoot. We have an antler POINT restriction of 3 points on a side.

Even tho we ALL hunt, we don't all hunt in the same circumstances. We all choose what works best for us OR simply what we like.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/26/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!