Th general trend of sporting cartridges since the 30-30 has been increased velocity.

Velocity flattens trajectory, reduces wind drift, and with the same twist it imparts more rotational velocity. Flat trajectory is good because I don't have to worry my head about distance until animals are 300-350 yards away.I can mess with turrets and dots after that.

High velocity and rotational velocity helps bullet expansion and makes bullets more effective at distance because it helps them expand after velocity has fallen off at distance.(Assuming the bullet is built for the chore).

I notice that many people automatically equate "velocity" with loading their pet cartridge too hot to get the velocity and therefore consider velocity as somehow "bad". This is backwards thinking. Cartridges do what they do loaded to 60-65,000 psi.If one doesn't give the velocity you want then buy a case with more capacity. Trying to squeeze another 50-75 fps from your pet cartridge is silly.

It's funny watching people tap dancing around and trying to act morally superior somehow as they treat velocity like it's a venereal disease. smile

I like stuff doing 3000-3200 fps for most BG cartridges and bullets. If velocity is getting much over those numbers I start looking for heavier bullets instead.

I would gladly take as much velocity as I could get if it didn't mean burning too much powder and getting kicked "too hard". Otherwise I've never seen velocity do anything "bad" unless someone mismatched the bullet to the velocity of the cartridge.

Rifles that shoot better at sub par velocities are a rifle problem; not a velocity problem.

If we think velocity is a problem, try shooting a few 500 yard bull elk with a 30-30 instead of a 300 magnum. Tell me which one works better. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.