Thought I'd weigh in on this one.

One of the best lessons my dad taught my brother and I was exactly this-- We were hunting in deep snow (near zero temp, 8-12" of snow), it was challenging to even get to the spot. We were late and the elk had already moved back up the mountain. We noticed an elderly man with bloody pants-- my dad being perpetually friendly-- he asked the old man if he had any luck.

The man replied that he shot a bull at first light. It was down in a gulley. My dad didn't hesitate and said, "Let's go. My boys will help you get it out."

I was 13, my brother was 9. The old man was in his 70's and was hunting with his wife.

Off we went, my dad, us boys, and the old man. Between the 4 of us, we battled that bull (whole) sliding, pulling, and slipping all the way up to the road. His wife supervised us from the front seat, and she backed the truck up and met us on the road.

The old man asked my dad if could reward us. My dad said - that it wasn't necessary. The lesson was the reward, and he meant it. It actually was pretty common for my dad to tell anyone in need, "the boys will help" whether it was around the neighborhood or in the store parking lot, or in the woods.

Still the old man insisted on getting our address, and taking a picture of us with the bull.

A month or so went by, and a little package arrived in the mail. It was right after Christmas. As my brother and I opened it up, we discovered 2 beautiful necklaces- each had an ivory tooth on a pendant from that bull. In the box was also a picture of us with the bull.

---------
My father passed away this fall. The picture of us with that bull, was part of the slide show during my dad's memorial service. I thought of my dad and the lesson he shared with us. One reason of many, why he was such a great father.
---------

Packing out that bull many years ago, I never forgot the story, and I still help whenever I see a person in need.

It doesn't mean I haven't passed on helping a few people. My general rule is if they are kindred spirits, (not run of the mill azzhats) when I approach them I gauge the need and their attitude. Bad attitude, means I say congrats and wish them well. Good attitude means I ask more details including finding out their plan for getting the elk off the mountain. If they need help, and I'm capable, then I help.

Usually I end up helping. Did it this year on a guy with a buck- he was hunting solo.

And I too have been helped. Including this year. Landowner across the fence from the public land I was on, ferried some elk quarters up the ridge to the corner boundary. It saved me at least an hour.