This weekend I had one of the most creepy encounters of my life involving one of those offers to help.

I was dragging out a deer Saturday night.
I had my LED headlamp on low power, it was a very dark night. From a good distance away I could see reflections of a truck parked next to mine. No lights.
This is remote prairie. The only reason this guy has for being there is if he is Fish and Game. Nobody else has reason to be parked at a strangers truck way out here in the dark.

I get within about 20 yards and he blasts me with his high beams. I drop my drag rope and walk up to my tailgate.

Conversation goes something like -

"Didja getcha one?"

I tell him the high beams on his truck work real good.

He says if I got something down he's available to help drag it out. Then he tells me his buddy got one across the creek tonight.

I tell him the only shots I heard were my own.

I don't put down my pack or rifle. Instead I walk a short distance back to where I had dropped my drag rope and pick it up again.

He follows me and without asking grabs a portion of the loop on my drag rope.

I tell him I've been dragging this deer for over an hour tonight. I'll take it across the finish line myself.

He bugs out pretty quick after that without saying much, if anything.

Something was very wrong about that encounter. I think my guardian angel was looking out for me that night.