I don't even carry my own elk on my back.
I have at times packed out other's elk.

This year I met a fellow that was hunting with his two teenagers. The one youngster had a bull tag,his sister didn't. I stopped them on the trail as they were back packing in and told them I would pack the boys elk out if he tagged one,but not the adults.

Another time a fellow with his boy killed a buck muley pretty far from the truck and talked to the local outfitter about packing it out.His fee was $300 and I doubt this guy could afford $100. I told them to show up at my camp at 5AM and they could walk my one mule in and pack out the deer.Charge as one bag of cookies for the mule. I was sitting in camp as they came out and the kid had grin on his face that went from ear to ear. Probably would not have been there otherwise.

My problem is guys want to hire me to pack their entire elk out. I try to explain that in CO that is illegal as I am not a registered outfitter and it is a big fine for me. About 1/2 don't believe me. I won't do it for nothing as that waste a whole day for me and I have considerable dollars tied up in stock,tack, and equipment to do it. However, f I am heading out for the day and have empty panniers,I will stop and pack some of it out for them.

Except for the people I am hunting with,in 50 years of hunting,I have never had anyone offer to help me.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/21/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles