About 4-5 years ago I was archery hunting Colorado GMU 63. About mid morning I heard a series of bugles near where I was hunting and knew right away it was another hunter. I worked my way towards the sound and met a young guy in his mid 20's. I asked where he was camped and if he had seen anything. He stated he was just hunting for the day and was parked on the main road and had never archery hunted for elk. I told him where I was camped and then he asked if I had any hunting tips. My response was something like stay in the woods and keep on bugling.

About 1 PM that day a pickup pulled in where I was camped and this young guy gets out and says he had just shot a bull and wanted to know the best way to get his truck to the elk. I informed him that he could not get any closer than where he had parked his truck that morning but we could take my ATV along with some of my hunting partners and their ATV's.

We loaded up and went to where he had shot the elk and he says he has not found it yet' We track for about 150 yards and there is a nice 5X5 bull. We talk him through the gutting process and help here and there. Get the elk out in 1 trip on 3 ATV's and into the back of his pickup. At this point he says this was the only day he could hunt and he is home on leave from the Army and this is his first elk. Glad we could help. Tom

Last edited by TomA; 11/30/16.