I bought the rifle new in the late 70’s for $69 and it still has the original steel buffer in it. I went through a couple cheaper scopes namely Bushnell Sportview 3-9 scopes. About 15 years ago I upgraded the scope to get better glass with more magnification and an adjustable objective. 15 years ago I chose a Leupold VXII 4-12x40AO. If I change the scope again it will be the 6.5-20x40EFR with fine plex. That is what is on all my 17HMR's. The higher magnification is much better for my old eyes and the target knobs are just handy.

Initially I look to be over your budget with the 4-12 at $325 but in the long run I will get the scope for free and may get paid to use it. For me this justifies the initial price. The AO is a must for me on a 22 to give me a good clear parallax free sight picture right in as close as 50 feet. Though it doesn't have knobs per say I take off the elevation cap and dial in my dopes to kill squirrels out to 200 yards with Stingers. It is still bright and clear as the day I got it. I’m very happy with it.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO