There aren't a lot of ranges in the south to practice at 300+. I live in NW Ga and the local range where I shoot stops at 300. I have a hay farmer friend that lets me shoot at his place a few times a year, I could go 1000 if I wanted to. I usually go in the spring after everything dries out and before the hay starts growing. Once he starts cutting hay he doesn't want me there and during deer season someone else has hunting rights so Fall is out.

I've gone and practiced with shooting sticks a few times out to 600. To be honest I found it a lot easier than I thought, at least with no wind. I was able to keep all shots at 400 within 5-6" and 6-8" at 500. Shooting at 600 around 12" was the best I could do. This was with shooting sticks. If I'd gone prone with a pack for a rest I know I could have done better. With a range finder, basic knowledge of your drops and a scope with dots hold overs aren't that hard.

But I have no experience reading wind. I'd take a shot at 400 with no wind. In windy conditions, I'd probably limit myself to 200-250 at most. If someone has shot in the wind and knows how to compensate for it longer shots are probably doable. But it is hard to replicate the windy conditions you see in the west while practicing in GA.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.