Originally Posted by SLM
I've been on more rodeos that involved short range "snap" shots than 200+.

I suspect that is because normally when I've taken game at longer ranges, say 275/300+ yards, the animal is normally rather at ease. Up close, they just might be moving out, or there might be difficult vegetation to shoot through, etc...

Last season I sighted my .30-06 in at 200 yards, with 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, doing about 2900 fps. Stalked the cow elk and got to 338 yards before running out of cover. Went prone, rested the rifle on the backpack. Put the crosshairs right on her back and gently squeezed. Good hit! She was down quickly, after stumbling around a bit in the snow. Both lungs, both shoulder blades. On-side shoulder was trashed. With no lungs and two bad shoulders... Well, that worked.

Ya, I like 300 for a guideline - that's getting close to my max range. Practiced to 300 many times before the season and took a black bear at 325 yards a couple of months earlier, with the same rifle & load. Sometimes terrain and vegetation just keep us from getting those 50 yard shots. It was no great stretch for me to reach out to 338, after practicing so much at 300 yards.

Ol' Sagebrush is right about updrafts, downdrafts, sidewinds etc... At further ranges all that comes into play, in a big way. Fortunately on my hunt, the air was cold and still.

[Linked Image]

Taking the shot:
[Linked Image]

BTW - I like the paper plate target idea too, and have been using them for 20 some years as my standard practice target. If I can hit the plate, I can hit the kill zone. I do tend to use a steel gong at 300 yards, just 'cause I LIKE it!

Best of luck on the hunt!

Guy