I personally don't base my shots on arbitrary distances. I don't say "400 yards max".

I view it as high percentage shots and low percentage shots. I simply don't take low percentage shots.

Weather, terrain, fatigue, etc all come into play. On one day, with the right conditions, and a solid shooting platform, a 600 yard shot is not a problem.

On a day where wind is an issue, and/or a stable shooting platform cannot be attained, a 200 yard shot may be out of the question.

The very vast majority of hunters/shooters I have encountered think that wind is strictly a horizontal issue. That is simply incorrect, especially in the mountains.

Up drafts in the morning, down drafts in late afternoon, as well as switching winds can all have a dramatic effect on a projectile's flight. I have shot enough in the mountains to observe a 2 or 3 minute change in elevation at medium distance shooting (like 600). Watching projectile trace can reveal some previously unseen vertical issues, especially at max ordinate.

The flip side is I have seen short range shots that were low percentage, and should not be taken. Lots of guys will take a 100-150 yard shot at an elk or deer that is running all out, doing 35-40 miles an hour, or worse, going that fast quartering away. The result are often a pretty gruesome horrible and prolonged death for the animal.

Now with all that said, the majority of my shots on elk are 350-450 yards. There will always be the dumb comments about "you need to learn how to hunt or stalk, and I have never taken a shot over XXX "(usually significantly shorter range than what I typically find presented). It is obvious that they want to feel morally superior, implying that a 400 yard shot on an elk is unethical.

It probably is for them..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com