Originally Posted by sbhooper
300 yards is a very good limit. Sight your rifle in at 200 yards and you are in good shape to 300 with a standard scope. If you have a tactical scope, then learn the ballistics, apply them and shoot as far as you are comfortable with.

All that being said, a lot depends on terrain, as far as distances. I have killed elk at 35 and at 443 and all distances in between.

I have killed four elk in Wyoming and the closest was 326, due to terrain. There was just no way to get closer in the treeless areas that I hunted. I once took me over three hours to get to 400 yards.

My rifles are dialed in to 550 yards, as that is the length of my range here at the house. I have never wanted to shoot over 300, though, and did it when I really had no other approach.

"I have never wanted to shoot over 300, though, and did it when I really had no other approach."
This should say I never really wanted to shoot over 300, but since I had no other approach, and the day and conditions were good enough, once I settled in and read the conditions, and my stability/ability from that position, I realized the shot was make able that day.

Rather than I couldn't get any closer so I flung one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....