Originally Posted by ro1459
I I do have my rifle scope zeroed in at 300 yards but that is because there is only a 3" difference between 100 yards and 350 yards.
Good luck with your hunt.

Want to explain this? It's not computing for me. What rifle/bullet combination at what MV?

I am using a M98 in '06, with 27 inch heavy barrel which I use on caribou out to 500 yards. My limit, not the rifle's, since it gets right at 1" 3 shot groups at 300 yards. With a really good rest. That's where I have it zeroed for also, but with those Hornady Superperformance 150's at a purported 3,000 plus fps, there is more than a 3" difference between 100 and 300 yards. I lost the iphone with the data on it, so I'll have to reshoot come August. IIRC, it's more like 9 inches.

Back to the OP. My advise is to take the advise offered by many above, as it suits you. I have always sighted my rifles in( the M98 recently excepted) at 200. That's a dead on gimme shot on decent sized game from muzzle to 300, assuming you can use a rest at longer ranges, and preferably at any range.

A range finder is an excellent idea if one is pushing the outer limits. And has time opportunity to use it. My rule of thumb is to get one that exceeds your allowable shooting distance by about third, as the advertised rating is for reflective targets. Not much game is reflective. I carry a Leopold 800si (note 500 yard self limit).

I don't use turrets, I do use "Duplex" crosshairs., which, before I got a range finder, I did use on occasion. Before season, I'd put up targets of "average chest depth" of the animal I was hunting, and look at it at 100,200, 300, and 400 yards, tho my shooting limit was 300.

Here is a rough "field guide rule of thumb" for longer ranges. With a 200 yard zero, most BG hunting rifles will be 7-9 inches low ot 300. So let's use 8 inch, an inch isn't going to make a difference in most cases. At 400 yards triple the drop from 200, at 500 double the 400. The formula is 2/3/2

So bullet drop for a 200 yard zero at 3,4, and 500 yards will look like this: 8, 24, 48. Again, this is not precise, but good enough for most rifles. Checking your actual drop at 300, then applying the formula will get you even closer. Shooting those ranges works even better, even if you don't go beyond 300 as a self imposed limit.

Knowing the average depth of the body cavity of the animal one is hunting gives one a quick , again rough!, guide to where to put the crosshairs on those ones waaaay out there, with just the equipment in hand - a lazer range finder, and the rifle scope. The Duplex cross hairs serve the same purpose, tho much rougher than +/- one yard rangefinder.

I've killed exactly one elk, and hunted them twice. I do have close to 70 caribou down tho. The .260 with 140 gr bullets was zeroed at 200. The opportunity came at an estimated 150, no rangefinder at the time, I knew she was within the "point blank" 300 yard range, however, and didn't even bother "computing". For a rest, I could only jam-brace my left arm between two birch trees, and fire one-handed over that. Hold on hair.... Bang. Flop.

Probably this one-handed technique isn't a good idea with a heavy recoiler......... smile

Last edited by las; 05/05/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.