Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I know it would greatly depend on terrain but do you think a 300 yard personal limit is too restrictive for general Elk hunting?

I may get a chance to go to Colorado soon. The place I'm going,I've been told that out of over 20 a friend of mine can remember, the longest shot was just over 200 yards.

It may even be a silly question but I'm trying to set up my rifle and scope combo.I'm wondering if you guys would feel OK if you set yourself a 300 to possibly 350 or so personal limit with your equipment.

The majority of elk I've taken and seen taken were under 300 yards. That said, I've taken elk at 350, 400, 411 and 487 yards and passed on many other opportunities that were over 300 yards. Most of the elk, if not all, could have been taken cleanly with a .308.

Take a rifle that you shoot accurately. If you are going to set a limit at whatever range, practice out to that range at least and then some if possible. (I've found practicing at longer ranges build confidence and ability at shorter ranges.) I highly recommend a laser range-finder as judging distances in the mountains can be tricky.

Good luck to you!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.