I'd love to shoot a .375 some time. From what I hear, that's a great round. While I have no firsthand knowledge I would never assert that the .338 is the same thing as a .375; that would make no sense. Except for later in this post. :-)

As far as 30 vs. 338... eh... who knows. I do know that for some odd reason the various 300 mags hold NO appeal to me, none whatsover. It makes no rational sense but there it is! Possible execption being something like a Montana or Model 7 in 300 WSM, but even then I'd prefer .325 WSM. Anyway, maybe it's because I love 30-06 so much and if I want to hit harder, I'll go .338 while if I want to shoot significantly flatter, I'll go with a big 7mm of some sort... the big 30's are sort of the odd man out in my book.

Brad- I messed with H4350 in my .338. In fact if memory serves that's what fuels my 200-gn BT plinkin' load. But my rifle just loves the Rl19 with 225... whatcha gonna do. I'm a die-hard H4350 fan though. It's my main powder. I don't know what RL19 would do from 22" but from 26", I get slightly over the nominal velocity for the cartridge... pushing 2900 with 225's.

It's interesting how bullets have indeed leveled the playing field, as Brad mentioned. We're almost to the point of being able to look at the ft/lbs delivered by a cartridge, and then being able to judge it THAT way- as in, how do you want those ft/lbs delivered? Do you want a predictibly massive wound channel? A very long relatively thin one? Something in between? It's all there and mostly all seems to work as advertised. Or at least, fairly predictably.

So in THAT sense, I guess it could be said that in the same way that a 30-06 can rival a .338 with modern bullets, a .338 can probably rival a .375 with modern bullets. This is a hypothesis on my part. What say you, Bob?

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 09/21/07.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!