Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Winchester_1885
I've struggled with accuracy from my Ruger 77 MKII for well over a year. All I've done to the rifle itself is bed the action and install a Timney trigger. I found out not too long ago that it has a 1:12 twist rate in the barrel which doesn't do well in bullets from 55gr up. I was eventually able to get the 55 grainers under 1 MOA, but would really be happier with 1/2 MOA. I'm not a fan of lite bullets, but before I go out half cocked and re barrel the rifle, I'm going to try some 52gr and 53gr pills. 1/2 moa would do the trick because I realize the placement of the shot is just as if not more important than the weight of the bullet.
Do you think I'm on the right track, or am I just wasting time, powder, and bullets~?

My Ruger have NO issues with accuracy with 1 in 12 twists...

The bullets I use each year, and I shoot a lot during varmint season....

40 grainers, V Max or Varmaggeddons from Nosler.

50 grainers.. V Max, Varmaggeddons, Speer TNT...

53 grainers.. V Max, Varmaggeddons

52 Grainers... Speer HPs...Not the Target one.. the Varmint one..

I don't have issues with the 55 grainers, but usually don't need to use them when the others do so well..

most of my shooting is done with Blue Dot, Unique, Alliant Steel, 4198, RL 7. within the 223s which see the most volume shooting...

but I also drag out 22.250s on occasion....

I loaded up some 52 grain Speer HP varmint bullets over 23.2 grains of AA2015. I didn't make it to the 100 yard range but at 50 I had one hole groups. I tested 2 other powders with this bullet and this one came out the best of the 3. I did this just today. I'm going to load some more and try this again at the 100 yard range hopefully on Thursday. I'm estimating 2750 to 2800 fps out of my 22" Remington model 700 with a 12" twist.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.